This is a great gift for the yarn-lover in your life and an excellent way to use leftover yarn. A peppermint-inspired holiday decoration, this Christmas tree is so easy to make and even easier to enjoy!
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Cone, 12" x 4"
- Disc, 6" x 1"
- Chunky velour yarn: red; white
- Felt scrap, Green
- Chenille stem, Green
- Mini ball ornament, red
- Straight pins
- Lowtemperature glue gun and glue sticks
- White, thick craft glue
- Double-sided adhesive tape (Optional)
- Glue and pin one end of red yarn to bottom edge of foam cone. Wind yarn up and around cone to create red rows 1/2" wide and 1/2" apart. Spot glue occasionally to secure. Note: Apply strips of double-sided tape to cone on three sides, from tip to base, for extra hold while winding yarn.
- At tip of cone, trim yarn end and push into tip using sharp pencil. Spot glue tip to secure yarn.
- Repeat Steps 1 and 2 for white yarn, filling in space between red rows. Secure yarn at tip.
- Glue and pin one end of white yarn to bottom edge of foam disc. Wrap and spot glue yarn around disc edge. Glue base of cone to center top of disc. Wrap and glue yarn to top of disc, around cone, to completely cover surface; trim yarn end and carefully push into base of cone using sharp pencil.
- Hand-cut four or more small holly leaves from green felt. Cut two 5" lengths from chenille stem. Glue one leaf to each end of chenille stem so leaves face up; let dry.
- Gently bend chenille stems to give leaves shape; glue stem centers to yarn-covered base in front of cone. Glue ornament to center of leaf cluster; let dry.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.