Using a foam base and your favorite holiday scrapbook paper or wrapping paper, you can create this playful pastel Christmas village. It makes a lovely, tiny town that will look just like all the expensive Christmas village displays you see on sale for big bucks in stores.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Balls: two 2"; three 1"
- Block, 12" x 10" x 1"
- Cones: one 9" x 4"; two 3" x 2"
- Disc, 10" x 1"
- Acrylic paint, Orange
- Coordinating decorative papers, 12" x 12", several sheets
- Star sequins or beads, two
- White glitter crystals
- Ultrafine glitter: pink; lime green
- Glitter glue: black; crystal; orange; pink; green
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Six red brads
- Round wooden toothpicks
- Paintbrushes: foam; small round
- Disposable palette
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Scissors: straight blade; decorative-edge
- Circle templates, 1" to 4"
- Paper glue
- Low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut each house pattern from foam block.
- Trace front, back and sides of foam house shapes onto assorted papers. Cut out pieces and adhere to foam using paper glue.
- Refer to patterns to cut house roofs from papers; crease and glue roofs to houses. Cut various doors and windows from contrasting papers and adhere to houses. Detail roofs, doors and windows with glitter glues; let dry.
- Use foam brush to apply white glue to 3" foam cones. Sprinkle cones with lime green glitter; shake off excess and let dry. Detail trees with glitter glues; let dry.
- Use wooden toothpick dipped in glue to attach one 1" foam ball to top of one 2" foam ball, creating a snowman shape. Repeat to make second snowman. Apply white glue to balls and sprinkle with white glitter crystals; shake off excess and let dry.
- Use black glitter glue to make "coal" eyes and mouth on each snowman. Dot cheeks with pink glitter glue. Glue and insert three red brads in each tummy for buttons.
- Paint tips of two toothpicks orange for noses; let dry and cut to size. Glue noses into faces; let dry completely.
- Cut tree pattern from green decorative paper and glue around large foam cone; let dry.
- Draw following circles on backs of decorative papers: 4"; 3 1/2"; 3"; 2 1/2"; 2". Cut out circles using decorative-edge scissors. Cut center from each circle, 1" smaller in diameter than original circle, creating five rings. Place rings on tree as shown. Detail tree with glitter glues; let dry.
- Apply white glue to remaining 1" foam ball and sprinkle with pink ultrafine glitter; shake off excess and let dry. Glue ball to tip of tree.
- Trace foam disc twice onto decorative paper; cut out and glue to front and back of disc. Cut several long, 1"-wide strips from same paper. Glue strips around disc edge, piecing together as needed; trim excess. Let dry.
- Adhere large tree to disc center, houses to four opposite sides, and snowmen and small trees between houses. Detail disc edges with glitter glue; let dry.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.