Knit Dog Coat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Celebrate Christmas with your puppy and knit him or her an adorable and festive coat from Patons. Your dog will feel warm when the winter gets cold if it's wearing a warm knit dog coat!
- Patons® Decor (100 g/3.5 oz)
or Patons® Canadiana (100 g/3.5 oz)
- Sizes 1 2 3 4 5 6
- Main Color (red) 1 1 1 1 1 1 ball
- Contrast A (green) 1 1 1 1 1 1 ball
- Contrast B (aran) 1 1 1 1 1 1 ball
- Knitting Needles: Sizes 4.5 mm (U.S. 7)
- Circular Knitting Needles: 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) 36 ins [90 cm] long
- set of four 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) doublepointed needles or size needed to obtain tension.
- Stitch holder.
Sizes 1 2 3 4 5 6
9 12 15 18 21 26 ins
23 30.5 38 45.5 53.5 66 cm
5 8 11 14 16 18 ins
12.5 20.5 28 35.5 40.5 45.5 cm
20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are
necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
Note: When working chart, wind small balls of the colors to be used, one for each separate area of color in the design.
Start new colors at appropriate points. To change colors, twist the two colors around each other where they meet, on WS, to avoid a hole.
Neckband:With B, cast on 29 (41-53-69-77-85) sts loosely. Break B.
1st row: (RS). With MC, K1. *P1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row: P1. *K1. P1. Rep from * to end of row.
Rep these 2 rows (K1. P1) ribbing for 1 (1-1½-2-2-2) ins [2.5 (2.5-4-5-5-5) cm] ending on a 2nd row. Place a marker at each end of last row.
Proceed as follows:
1st row: (RS). (K1. P1) 0 (1-2-3-3-1) time(s). P1 (0-0-0-0- 0). Work 1st row of Chart I, reading row from right to left. (P1. K1) 0 (1-2-3-3-1) time(s). P1 (0-0-0-0-0).
2nd row: (K1. P1) 0 (1-2-3-3-1) time(s). K1 (0-0-0-0-0). Work 2nd row of Chart I reading row from left to right. (K1. P1) 0 (1-2-3-3-1) time(s). K1 (0-0-0-0-0).
3rd row: Inc 1 st in first st. P0 (1-1-1-1-1). (K1. P1) 0 (0- 1-2-2-0) time(s). Work 3rd row of Chart I. (P1. K1) 0 (0-1-2-2-0) time(s). P0 (1-1-1-1-1). Inc 1 st in last st. 31 (43-55-71-79-87) sts.
Rib pat and Chart I are now in position.
Cont working rib pat and Chart I, inc 1 st at each edge of every row 6 (2-0-0-0-7) times more, then inc every following alt row 0 (5-8-9-11-10) times, taking inc sts into rib pat and ending with RS facing for next row. 43 (57-71-89-101-121) sts.
Leg openings: 1st row: Rib across 5 (5-7-10-11-11) sts. *Cast off 3 (5-6-7-8-9) sts*. Work appropriate row of Chart I.
Rep from * to * once more. Rib to end of row.
2nd row: Rib across 5 (5-7-10-11-11) sts. Turn. Leave rem sts on spare needle.
Cont in rib pat until first section of Leg opening measures 1 (1-1½-2-2½-3) ins [2.5 (2.5-4-5-6-7.5) cm], ending with RS facing for next row. Break yarn.
With WS of work facing, join yarn to rem sts and proceed as follows:
1st row:Work appropriate row of Chart I across next 27 (37- 45-57-65-81) sts. Turn. Leave rem sts on spare needle. Cont working Chart I until second section of Leg opening measures same length as first section, ending with RS facing for next row. Break yarn.
With WS of work facing, join yarn to rem sts and proceed as follows:
1st row: Rib across 5 (5-7-10-11-11) sts.
Cont in ribbing until third section of Leg opening measures same length as first section, ending with RS facing for next row. Do not break yarn.
Joining row: Next row: Rib across 5 (5-7-10-11-11) sts. Turn. Cast on 3 (5-6-7-8-9) sts. Turn.Work appropriate row of Chart II across next 27 (37-45-57-65-81) sts. Turn. Cast on 3 (5-6-7-8-9) sts. Turn. Rib across 5 (5-7-10-11-11) sts. 43 (57-71-89-101-121) sts.
Cont working Chart I and rib pat until Body measures 3½ (5½-6½-7½-9-10½) ins [9 (14-16.5-19-23-26.5) cm] from markers, ending with RS facing for next row. Place 2nd set of markers at each end of last row.
Shape stomach opening: Keeping cont of Chart I and rib pat, cast off 6 (7-9-10-12-13) sts at beg of next 2 rows. 31 (43-53-69-77-95) sts.
Next row: Sl1. K1. psso. Pat to last 2 sts. K2tog.
Next row:Work even in pat.
Rep last 2 rows 5 (6-8-9-11-13) times more. 19 (29-35-49- 53-67) sts.
Sizes 1 and 2 only: When Chart I is complete cont even in stocking st with MC until Body measures 7½ (11½) ins [19 (29) cm] from first set of markers, ending with RS facing for next row.
Sizes 3, 4, 5 and 6 only: When Chart I is complete work 25 sts of Chart II to end of chart, between markers placed at end of Chart I.
Sizes 4, 5 and 6 only: When Chart II is complete cont in stocking st with MC, until Body measures (16½-17½- 21½) ins [(42-44.5-54.5) cm] from first set of markers, ending with RS facing for next row.
All sizes: Back Shaping: 1st row: Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog. 17 (27-33-47-51-65) sts.
2nd row: Purl.
3rd row: As 1st row.
4th row: P2tog. Purl to last 2 sts. P2togtbl. 13 (23-29-43- 47-61) sts.
Cast off 2 (3-5-8-10-12) sts at beg of next 2 rows. Leave rem 9 (17-19-27-27-37) sts on a st holder.
Edging: With RS of work facing, MC and circular needle pick up and knit 28 (42-50-60-68-80) sts down from 2nd set of markers. Knit across 9 (17-19-27-27-37) sts from st holder. Pick up and knit 28 (42-50-60-68-80) sts up to 2nd set of markers. 65 (101-119-147-163-197) sts. Turn.
Knit 4 rows (garter st). Cast off knitways (WS).
Sew centre seam from neckband to 2nd set of markers.
Leg ribbing:With MC and first double pointed needle pick up and knit 4 (6-6-8-10-12) sts around leg opening.
[With next double pointed needle pick up and knit 4 (6-7-8-10-12) sts] twice. 12 (18-20-24-30-36) sts are now divided on 3 needles. Join in round, placing marker on first st.
Work in rounds of (K1. P1) ribbing for 1 inch [2.5 cm].
Cast off loosely in ribbing.
Rep for 2nd leg opening.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 124 Easy Christmas House Crafts
- Snowman and Angel Ornaments
- Crochet Snowman Family
- "26 Christmas Craft Ideas: Ornaments, Decorations, and Homemade Gifts for Christmas" free eBook
- Christmas Goodie Pop Top Cans
- "Make it a Red Heart Holiday" eBook from Red Heart Yarns
- Crochet Candy Cane Steering Wheel Cover
- Unique Tampon Angel
- "23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes" eBook
- Peppermint Treat Jar
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Scottish Terrier Dog Crochet Amigurumi Pattern
- "The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More" free eBook
- Silly Kids DIY Shoe Decoration
- Stenciled Chalkboard Happy Birthday Card
- Sweet Doily Cards Spring Craft
- Illuminated Blossoms Spring Craft
- Colorful Napkin Wreath Spring Craft
- Large Silk DIY Flower Arrangement
- Kiddie Blocks Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Easy DIY Castle Printables