Create a beautiful table-top angel for Christmas with inexpensive materials and a little creativity. Foam paints create wonderful texture for the colorful angel. Pair with this angel decoration for a wonderful holiday theme.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Sheet: 1" x 12" 18"; 1/2" x 12" x 18"
- Ball, 2"
- Wooden dowels: 1/2" x 6"; 1/8" x 3"
- Chenille stem, 1 gold
- Beads, two 1/4" black
- Acrylic craft paint: red, purple, blue-green, peach, brown, pink, old gold, bright gold
- Fineline marker
- Serrated knife or utility knife
- Old candle
- Low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
For pattern, click here.
- To cut foam sheets, use serrated knife or utility knife; wax knife blade first for smoother cuts. Using patterns, cut body from 1" foam sheet and wings from 1/2" foam sheet. (NOTE: bold outlines on patterns are cutting lines; fine lines are decorative glue lines.) Trim straight edge on wings to a 45 degree angle.
- The golden highlights on the angel are created with low temperature glue. Using black, fineline marker, transfer design lines onto dress and and wings. (Do not draw face and hair.) Draw wavy line around edge of base; draw eight wavy lines on top of base, radiating from center to edges. Practice gluing technique on scrap of foam; squeeze glue gun in steady, controlled manner to create fine, even lines. Trace over design lines with glue. Let dry.
- Paint dress, wings and base following colors used in photo. Let dry. Paint all glue lines and dots on gown, wings and base with two coats of gold paint. Paint dowels gold.
- Glue beads to face for eyes and nose, pressing into foam. Using low temperature glue, make two dots for cheeks; when glue is almost set, press cheeks with fingers to flatten. Paint cheeks pink. Paint red smile.
- Make hair with glue, adding glue in several layers to build height. Before hair is completely dry, insert small dowel in top of head. Paint hair brown. Bend 4" chenille stem into circle; glue to top of dowel to make a halo.
- Insert large dowel into center of base; remove dowel, fill hole with glue and replace dowel. Repeat, pushing dowel into center bottom of gown.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
If you like this project, we also suggest:
Angel Wind Chime
Dated Angel Ornament