With inexpensive foam materials and foam paint, create a this lovely Christmas angel. The colorful angel is perfect as a table-top decoration or mantel piece.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Sheet: 1" x 12" 18"; 1/2" x 12" x 18"
- Ball, 2"
- Wooden dowels: 1/4" x 9"; 1/8" x 2"
- One gold Chenille stem
- Two 6mm black beads
- Acrylic craft paint: metallic gold, ruby, blue, emerald, barn red, peach, pink, brown
- Fineline marker
- Serrated knife or utility knife
- Old candle
- Low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
For pattern, click here.
- To cut foam sheets, use serrated knife or utility knife; wax knife blade first for smoother cuts. From 1" foam sheet, cut 8" x 3-3/4" rectangle for angel's dress and 5" x 7" oval for base. Using patterns, cut two feet and heart (wings) from 1/2" sheet. Cut foam ball in half. (NOTE: bold lines on pattern are cutting lines, fine lines are decorative glue lines.)
- Glue half-ball on wings; glue wings to dress. Glue feet to gown as shown, with one foot positioned on top and in front of the of other; when gluing, insert toothpick between feet and dress for enhanced hold.
- The golden highlights on the angel are created with low temperature glue. Using black, fineline marker, transfer design lines onto dress, shoes and wings. (Do not draw face and hair.) Draw wavy line around edge of base; add dots to top of base. Practice gluing technique on scrap of foam; squeeze glue gun in steady, controlled manner to create fine, even lines. Trace over design lines with glue. Let dry.
- Paint dress, wings and base following colors used in photo. Let dry. Paint all glue lines and dots on gown, wings and shoes with two coats of gold paint; paint wavy line around base gold and dots on base barn red. Paint dowels gold.
- Glue beads to face for eyes, pressing into foam. Using low temperature glue, make a small dot for nose and two larger dots for cheeks; when glue is almost set, press cheeks with fingers to flatten. Paint nose gold and cheeks pink. Paint red smile.
- Make hair with glue, adding glue in several layers to build height. Before hair is completely dry, insert small dowel in top of head. Paint hair brown. Bend 4" chenille stem into circle; glue to top of dowel to make a halo.
- Insert large dowel into center of base; remove dowel, fill hole with glue and replace dowel. Repeat, pushing dowel into center bottom of gown.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.
If you like this project, we also suggest:
Colorful Christmas Angel Decoration II