Classic Christmas Gingerbread House
By: Jessica Farris
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This Classic Christmas Gingerbread House project is so easy to personalize with the shapes and candy of your choice. Create a miniature winter wonderland with this easy homemade gingerbread house.
- Lightweight cardboard or card stock for template (I used old clothing gift boxes)
- Structural dough recipe ingredients (Technically, this isn’t gingerbread dough. Since I wasn’t planning on eating it, I tossed out the molasses and spices in favor of a sturdier, less expensive recipe. The instructions are below in the project.):
2 cups dark corn syrup
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups Crisco
9 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for flouring surfaces)
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Gallon-sized Ziploc bag
- Parchment paper
- Pizza cutter
- Stable surface for building the house
- Royal icing recipe ingredients (The instructions are below in the project.):
3 egg whites
2 lbs confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
- Handheld mixer or standing mixer
- Icing bags and tips
- Assorted candy and decorations (I used the following):
Hershey’s chocolate bars
Twizzlers (pull-and-peel and regular)
Skittles or M&Ms
Sparkly white sugar
Fruit slice jellies
Graham crackers and small square crackers like Cheez-Its
1. Create a template. I pretty much made up my own. If you want a symmetrical house, you’ll need one cardboard stencil for each: front and back walls, side walls, and roof pieces. Draw your shapes onto the card stock with a ruler and cut them out. The best way to make sure your template works is to cut out all of the pieces, label them (e.g. write "Wall 1" on the carboard) and actually tape them together before you begin.
2. Get baking! Here's the recipe I used to make the structural dough (tweaked from a few different recipes):
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and crisco in a medium-sized microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave corn syrup mixture, stirring every minute, until sugar had dissolved and Crisco has melted.
- Pour corn syrup mixture over the flour mixture.
- You can stir it together to combine it if you wish, but I had a lot of fun squishing it around with my hands until the consistency was smooth. If you're working with kids, they'll love this part; just make sure the mixture is cool enough for them to handle without burning themselves.
- Combine until the consistency is even and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if it's too sticky. At the end, you should be able to mold it like playdough, or put a smiley face in it. It's happy to see you!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Store dough in a gallon-sized plastic bag and set aside.
3. Roll out a large piece of parchment paper and lightly flour the surface. Keep the parchment paper and flour on hand.
4. Pull off about 1/4 of the dough and reseal the bag. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness, smoothing to ensure that there are no air bubbles in the dough. Lightly flour your stencils and lay them on the dough. Use the pizza cutter to slice the shapes according to your template.
5. Remove the excess dough and transfer the entire sheet of parchment paper to a cookie sheet. Repeat steps 1-2 until your entire template has been cut out. You may wish to make extra pieces in case of breakage, or you may reserve the remaining dough for such emergencies. (I used my extra dough to make dinosaur cut out cookies, because who doesn't like dinosaurs?)
6. Bake the pieces at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until the dough has hardened and the edges are lightly browned. Allow the pieces to cool completely before using.
7. In the meantime, prepare your surface and supplies.
8. Make the royal icing:
- Combine the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl.
- While beating the mixture in the bowl, gradually add the confectioner's sugar, beating 1-2 minutes at a time, until the icing forms stiff peaks.
- Cover the icing bowl with a damp towel until you are ready to use it.
- Put the icing tip of your choice (preferably a narrow, round tip) into your icing bag, then place the icing bag tip down into a tall glass. Fold the sides of the bag over the edges and use a spatula to fill the bag to the brim of the cup. Pick up the bag by the edges and twist to squeeze the icing toward the tip.
9. To construct the walls, lay one wall on the table and draw a line of icing along each side edge. Hold the adjacent pieces onto the icing until it has hardened enough for the walls to stand on their own. Carefully lift the house into an upright position and add the remaining wall, holding it in place until the icing has hardened. Repeat with roof pieces. Allow the icing to set before decorating.
10. Now comes the fun part! Go to town with your decorations. Use your own ideas, or try the ones below! I learned from trial and error that it's easier to add the icing to the candy and then place it on the house; otherwise, mistakes are slightly messier.
- Use sticks of gum for shingles, and edge the roof with TwizzlersConstruct windows from crackers and licorice strands.
- Create a front porch of crackers with beams of twizzlers, pretzels, or candy canes.
- Create a chimney of Starburst.
- Add bricks to the sides of the walls with red licorice.
- Create a cobblestone path from Sugar Babies and line with gumdrops.
- Add a door of stick gum and an M&M or Skittle doorknob.
- Add Christmas lights out of jellybeans, M&Ms, or skittles.
- Create a woodpile of thick pretzels.
- Surround your house with grated coconut snow topped with sparkly white sugar.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- "7 DIY Christmas Gifts: Handmade Gift Ideas You'll Love" free eBook
- Unique Tampon Angel Christmas Ornament
- Crochet Snowman Family
- Teardrop Christmas Ornaments
- Crochet Candy Cane Steering Wheel Cover
- "Make it a Red Heart Holiday" eBook from Red Heart Yarns
- Quick Spiral Quilt Christmas Tree Skirt
- 26 Christmas Craft Ideas: Ornaments, Decorations, and Homemade Gifts for Christmas free eBook
- Top 20 Ways to Recycle After the Holidays with Crafting
- 123 Easy Christmas House Crafts
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bush Baby T-Shirt Craft
- Watermelon Tie Dye Design
- Dipped Shorts Tie Dye Technique
- Quirky Tie Dye Bracelet
- Frog Coin Purse
- Precious Panda Knit Hat
- Men's Woodsy Knit Cowl Pattern
- Chunky Funky One Day Blanket
- Sweet-ish Knit Hat Pattern
- How to Dye a Shirt with RIT Dye