If you love to travel or want to remember a special place, use an old map to create a worldly Christmas ornament. This unique and inexpensive project adds a personalized touch to holiday decor.
- 4 in. Ball of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Old map or color photocopy
- Decoupage medium
- White/iridescent glitter
- Travel-themed charms, four
- Light blue double-sided satin ribbon: 1/4" x 2/3 yd.; 3/8" x 1/2 yd.
- Wooden skewer
- Wide, soft paintbrush
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Cut map into 1-1/2" squares. Insert wooden skewer into bottom of foam ball to use as handle.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply decoupage medium to small area of ball and to back of one paper square. Smooth paper onto ball; if paper won't lay flat, cut tiny slits into paper edges along major roads or river lines and press to ball. Cover entire ball in same way, overlapping paper edges and matching major roads and bodies of water if possible. Place skewer in heavy glass or jar to dry.
- Apply generous coat of decoupage medium to entire ball; while wet, sprinkle with glitter. Let dry. Remove skewer.
- Cut 8" length from 3/8"-wide ribbon; knot ends for hanging loop. Use skewer tip to make small hole in center top of ornament. Apply glue to ribbon knot and use skewer to push knot into hole. Tie remaining 3/8"-wide ribbon into bow and glue to base of hanger.
- Cut four 5" lengths from 1/4"-wide ribbon and tie a charm to one end of each length. Place dot of glue into hole at bottom of ornament and use skewer to push ribbon ends into hole.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.