Harvest Candle and Plate
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Celebrate the fall harvest with this festive candle and plate duo. With the help of a pattern, the beautiful design is easily painted.
DecoArt Products Required
- DAO14 - Cadmium Orange
- DAO16 - Burnt Orange
- DAO62 - Terra Cotta
- DAO63 - Burnt Sienna
- DA179 - Alizarin Crimson
- DA194 - Marigold
- DA221 - Traditional Burnt Umber
- DA222 - Traditional Raw Sienna
- DA223 - Traditional Burnt Sienna
- DA228 - Bright Orange
- DA259 - Cocoa
- DBL1502-B - Script Liner 2
- DBL1580-B - Script Liner 10/0
- DBR2002-B - Round 2
- DBF3012-B - Shader 12
- DBAS4025-B - Angular Shader 1/4"
- DBAS4037-B - Angular Shader 3/8"
- DBFB4508-B - Filbert 8
- DBDS5525-B - Deerfoot Stippler 1/4"
- DS20 - Easy Float
Americana Spray Sealers
- DAS13 - Americana Matte Spray
Paint Adhesion Medium
- DS39-3 - Paint Adhesion Medium
- Pattern here
- Water container
- Palette or plastic plate
- Paper towels
- Tracing and transfer paper
- Rubbing alcohol
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- JansenArt Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Large ivory pillar candle
- 9.375" wood plate, Walnut Hollow 23732
Clean candle with rubbing alcohol and dry completely with paper towel or soft cloth.
1. Trace pattern onto candle using stylus and light pressure.
2. Thin Burnt Orange with Paint Adhesion Medium. Use mix to outline design and pull stems for bittersweet.
3. Basecoat flipped sections of oak leaves Marigold.
4. Brush mix of Terra Cotta and Burnt Orange to basecoat leaves and apply wash over flipped sections.
5. Thin Cocoa with Paint Adhesion Medium and outline leaf veins.
6. Sideload brush with Traditional Burnt Umber to shade leaves, walking color out. Keep edges clean and tips sharp.
7. Use stippler brush and Marigold to create subtle highlights. Tap brush with finger to soften.
8. Brush mix of Cocoa and Terra Cotta with small amount of water. Use mix and liner brush to pull veins, keeping ends next to main leaf vein.
9. Use liner brush and thinned Marigold to softly highlight veins in light areas.
10. Sideload brush with Traditional Burnt Umber. Shade very narrowly on each side of veins, darker next to main vein and lighter toward outside edge allowing them to fade off.
11. Basecoat maple leaf Marigold.
12. Wash Cadmium Orange over leaf, lighter toward top.
13. Use liner brush and thinned Marigold to pull veins.
14. Wash Cadmium Red over whole leaf, leaving center top lighter. Repeat to shade.
15. Wash bottom 1/3 with Alizarin Crimson, and then pat up next 1/3, ending very lightly at top.
16. Sideload brush with Traditional Burnt Sienna. Shade bottom 1/3 and pat color upward.
17. Use liner brush and thinned Marigold to pull veins again.
18. Sideload brush with Traditional Burnt Sienna. Shade both sides of veins very narrowly and then walk out "V" areas. Continue shading darker in "V" areas, lower 2/3 of leaf darker and lighter at top 1/3.
19. Use 8 filbert brush and Marigold to pull sunflower petals using teardrop stroke. Repeat. Basecoat stem Marigold.
20. Use stippler brush and Traditional Burnt Umber to stipple flower center. Repeat.
21. Use 8 filbert brush and Marigold to pull left top petals again. Use to place bright lights on center making sure to use a curved stroke.
22. Sideload brush with Traditional Burnt Sienna to shade top petals at base. Repeat for petals underneath.
23. Use brush and Traditional Burnt Umber to pull comma strokes at base of sunflower head, dragging strokes down stem to outside stem edges.
24. Basecoat acorns Marigold.
25. Sideload brush with Burnt Orange to shade sides with crescent shape, leaving center light. Shade under acorn cap. Repeat with Traditional Burnt Sienna.
26. Basecoat caps Traditional Raw Sienna. Shade lower left of acorn fairly dark with Traditional Burnt Umber. Shade with very light crescent shape on right side of nut and outside edge of cap.
27. Use liner brush and Traditional Burnt Umber to form "v" pattern on cap. With Traditional Burnt Umber, make small tip on cap and small circle on bottom tip of nut with tiny dot in center and outline bottom side of bittersweet stems.
28. Basecoat bittersweet berries Bright Orange.
29. Sideload liner brush with Traditional Burnt Sienna. Make crescent stroke on bottom of each berry.
30. Sideload liner brush with Marigold and highlight top of each berry. Place tiny dot in top right quadrant of each berry to highlight.
31. Basecoat small leaves on right Marigold.
32. Sideload brush with Burnt Orange and shade leaves.
33. Deepen shading in underneath and v areas with Traditional Burnt Sienna.
34. Use liner brush and thinned Marigold to pull veins.
35. With liner brush, brush mix of Traditional Burnt Sienna and Burnt Orange to shade both sides of veins.
36. Sideload brush with Traditional Burnt Sienna. Shade bottom and "v" areas on underneath sides of veins and flips.
1. Trace outside edge of plate onto tracing paper. Fold circle in half. Repeat, folding twice. (This will make eight sections.) Mark these sections on plate. Design will go into each section.
2. Mix equal parts of Honey Brown and JansenArt Multi-Purpose Sealer. Basecoat plate with mix, ending brush strokes with wood grain. Repeat coats as needed.
3. Sand lightly. Remove dust with moistened paper towel and let dry completely.
4. Trace pattern onto plate.
5. Repeat same colors and painting instructions as candle.
6. Mist all with Americana Matte Spray, allowing to dry between coats.
1. Work with small amounts of Paint Adhesion Medium and Americana Acrylics. Use very light touch on all steps. When working on candle, load brush with Paint Adhesion Medium and then dip into paint.
2. Handle candle carefully. Fingernails and jewelry can scratch painted surface.
3. Use folded towel to cradle candle while painting.
4. When sideloading, use patting motion and work away from edge until there is no paint. Keep outside edges clean and neat. Inside can be choppy for more natural look and color variation.
5. Add few drops of Easy Float in water to help in sideloading.
6. Use brush sizes you are most comfortable with when painting.
7. Make berries using handle end of paintbrush. For larger berries, use larger brush or sponge pouncer, or swirl brush handle tip on surface. Allow paint to dry completely before proceeding with shading or highlighting.
8. Use water to thin paint to ink-like consistency.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Wrap Up With 25 Afghan Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Quick & Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Make It A Red Heart Holiday
- Quick and Easy Decoupage from Plaid
- Homemade Christmas Gift Guide
- 9 Thanksgiving Decorations to Make
- The Make My Own Holiday Gifts Guide
- Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects From Plaid
- Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- We've Got You Covered: 25 Crochet and Knit Throws
- Jewelry for You! How to Make Handmade Beaded Bracelets and Necklaces
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- How To Create 14 Sparkly Craft Projects Using Krylon Glitter Blast
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- Perfect for Christmas Gift Giving: 6 'Gift in a Jar' Ideas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home
- 22 Summer Crafts for Kids
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Baby Love
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- How to Knit: Beginner Knitting Help and 7 Free Patterns
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- From Head to Toe, Young to Old: 26 Knit and Crochet Accessories
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Easter Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- How To Halloween: Projects from Bloggers
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Creative Crafting all Year Round: Crafts to Celebrate the Holidays
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
- 4th of July Crafts and Recipes
- Mother's Day Crafting: Blogger Edition
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Father's Day Crafts
- Mother's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- Father's Day Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 4th of July Crafts: Blogger Edition 2010
- 24 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Fall Craft Projects
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Beautiful Beads
- 20 Bracelet Patterns: Macrame Bracelets, Friendship Bracelets, Hemp Bracelets, and More
- Fun with Fabric Dye
- 24 Simple Scrapbooking Layouts
- Garden Crafts
- 42 Ways to Recycle
- 31 Cupcake Inspired Creations
- Project Ideas for All Occasions From Paper to Fabric
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- Sewing for Beginners
- Graduation Crafts
- DIY Wedding
- 33 Summer Wedding Ideas
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- Cheap Home Decor: Crafting with Paper
- Great Decor in a Flash Without a Lot of Cash
- Low-Cost Clothing Crafts
- Inexpensive Home Decor
- Cheap and Easy Crafts
- Low-Cost Kitchen Crafts
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- Have a Red Heart Holiday: 20 Knit & Crochet Gifts and Decorating Ideas
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Crafting With The Craftwell eCraft and eBosser: Scrapbooking, Paper Crafts, and So Much More
- 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter - The Ultimate Craft Guide
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers, & More
- Crafts for Father's Day: 36 Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- How to Make a Purse: 20 Patterns for Sewing Totes, Bags and More
- 17 Easy Crafts with Yarn: Make Accessories, Decor and More with Lion Brand Imagine Yarn
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Welcome to Our Home: Knit and Crochet Ideas from Red Heart
- 20 Crafts with Mason Jars: Wedding Ideas, Centerpieces, Dcor and More
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- How to Make Bows, Hair Pins and More: 33 DIY Hair Accessories
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- Fuse Creativity System Project Guide: Fun Party Themes, Idea for Handmade Cards, And More Paper Crafts from Fiskars
- The Ultimate Craft Guide: 25 Free Craft Projects for Every Crafter
- Summer Crafts for Kids
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- Thanksgiving Crafts
- Holiday How-To: Thanksgiving Crafts and Pumpkin Recipes
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Ideas
- 24 Polymer Clay Tutorials: Polymer Clay Jewelry, Home Decor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- Crochet Patterns, Painting Ideas, and More: 15 New DIY Crafts
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects from DecoArt
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- Make it Yours: How To Spray Paint Furniture, Home Decor Projects, Holiday Crafts and More with Krylon Spray Paint
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- Painting the Seasons with Americana Multi-Surface Acrylics
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Decor
- 2012 Holiday Gift Guide for Crafters
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies & Toddlers
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing Craft Idea
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Craft Ideas and Projects
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2014
- 21 Easy Sewing Projects: DIY Designs and Sewing craft Ideas
- 12 Fun & Fabulous Mod Podge Projects: Jewelry, Gifts & Decorations for the Holidays
- Great Gift Ideas: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from Red Heart Yarn
- 24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How to Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions & Techniques
- 13 DIY Home Decor Ideas
- How To Tie Dye: 10 Tie Dye Instructions And Techniques
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Bush Baby T-Shirt Craft
- Watermelon Tie Dye Design
- Dipped Shorts Tie Dye Technique
- Quirky Tie Dye Bracelet
- Frog Coin Purse
- Precious Panda Knit Hat
- Men's Woodsy Knit Cowl Pattern
- Chunky Funky One Day Blanket
- Sweet-ish Knit Hat Pattern
- How to Dye a Shirt with RIT Dye