Past & Present
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Past & Present
By: Amy Azzarito
Gifted by Abrams Books
Reviewed by Melissa Conner
Artists and craft designers have several things in common, perhaps the most prominant being that they both need to find a way to combine several individual pieces into one functional piece. Smaller elements must work together to create something that's both meaningful and artistic, and both artists and craft designers know the challenge (and fun!) of creating a project this way. Whether your medium is paint or markers, paper or clay, making something out of nothing is a challenge the human race has enjoyed for centuries.
If you have an appreciation for the arts, you're going to love the originality and design of Past & Present by Amy Azzarito.
In Past & Present, Azzarito presents 24 pairs of essays and DIY projects that explore the connection between art and craft. With projects inspired by famous works of art, this book makes art of bygone eras fit perfectly into our contemporary living spaces. Beginning with the famous art of Renaissance Italy and moving into Hollywood regency art of the 1930's, Azzarito looks at the elements that made up some of the most famous works of art of each time period and offers craft tutorials that show off that element. This is a beautiful and smart book that designers and crafters alike have been waiting for.
Each chapter in Past & Present covers a certain period of art history. A brief essay describes the art of the time and what inspired it, and a variety of craft projects follow. For example, The State Bed was an artistic symbol of 17th century England. And perhaps the most iconic part of the State Bed was the tassel trim. To help highlight the importance of this style in 17th century England, Azzarito includes a project for a beautiful Tassel Blanket that's perfect for adding a touch of class and art to your bedroom decor.
If you love the look of classic art and want to find a way to bring that style into your contemporary decor, you're going to love the projects and tutorials in Past & Present. This book does a great job joining "art" and "craft" and will have you looking at all kinds of art in a new way.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Scottish Terrier Dog Crochet Amigurumi Pattern
- "The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More" free eBook
- Silly Kids DIY Shoe Decoration
- Stenciled Chalkboard Happy Birthday Card
- Sweet Doily Cards Spring Craft
- Illuminated Blossoms Spring Craft
- Colorful Napkin Wreath Spring Craft
- Large Silk DIY Flower Arrangement
- Kiddie Blocks Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Easy DIY Castle Printables