We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Founded in 1846 by Charles Scribner, Scribner was originally a publisher of religious books. By 1870, the company had turned to literature and begun publishing, in addition to books, Scribner’s Monthly, “an illustrated magazine for the people.” The magazine and its successor, Scribner’s Magazine, attracted fresh young writers, many of whom became Scribner authors.
Charles Scribner II took over in 1879 after the deaths of his father and older brother, and under this guidance, the company became identified with the giants of twentieth-century American literature, such as Henry James and Edith Wharton. In short succession, Charles Scribner’s Sons published Ring Lardner, Ernest Hemingway, Thomas Wolfe, and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. Famed editors Maxwell Perkins and John Hall Wheelock realized that a new era in American literature was dawning, and in 1920 F. Scott Fitzgerald’s first novel, This Side of Paradise, proclaimed the Jazz Age.
In 1978, Scribner acquired Atheneum, and in 1984 merged with Macmillan. Today, under publisher Susan Moldow and editor in chief Nan Graham, Scribner has a distinguished list of writers that includes Annie Proulx, author of Brokeback Mountain and The Shipping News, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award; Frank McCourt, whose memoir Angela’s Ashes won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award; Don DeLillo, whose novel Underworld won the Howell Award from the Academy of Arts and Letters. Scribner also publishes #1 bestselling author Stephen King, awarded the 2008 Medal of Honor from the National Book Foundation; and a host of other luminary authors including Jeannette Walls, Andrew Solomon, Kathy Reichs, Carol Higgins Clark, Colm Toibin, Chuck Klosterman, and Miranda July.
Books Reviewed on FaveCrafts:
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- 12 Easter Egg Ideas & Easter Crafts for Adults
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- DIY Faux Fur Crossbody Bag
- Rustic Wedding in a Barn
- DIY Burlap Aisle Runner
- Shell N Picots Slouch Hat
- Recycled Pallet and Scrap Booking Shelf
- Stamped Matilda Inspired Hoodie
- Candy Corn Fabric Wreath
- Fall Burlap Wreath
- Big Knit Easy Blanket Sweater
- Pick Your State Printable Art