If you've ever dreamed in laying in a bed of flowers then here's your chance. Teresa Port shows us how to make a Gerbera daisy headboard in nine easy steps.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Sheets, 36" x 12" x 1", six
- Silk gerbera daisies, 10", three; 4", 35
- Coordinating grosgrain ribbon, 2" x 4 yds.
- Floral shears or wire cutters
- Foam-safe spray paint, pink
- Round wooden toothpicks, 44
- Serrated knife or dental floss
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Yardstick or ruler
- Straight pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Sawtooth hangers with nails, fourh
- Apply hot glue to ends of 12 toothpicks and insert evenly spaced along one 36" edge of first foam sheet, pushing picks halfway into foam. Apply glue to pick ends and one 36" edge of second foam sheet. Align foam edges and push together firmly to make a single 24" x 36" sheet.
- Repeat Step 1 to create second 24" x 36" foam sheet.
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measure and mark one 8" x 24" rectangle on each remaining foam sheet and cut out; reserve foam scraps for future use. Or, cut the foam with dental floss: Stand the sheet on its edge, and hold a 20" length of dental floss along the scored line, positioning one hand at the bottom of the board and the other at the top; draw the dental floss down through the foam sheet along the scored line.
- Join rectangles to large sheets created in Steps 1 and 2 along 24" edges, using toothpicks and glue; finished sheets should measure 24" x 44". For added strength, dip ends of u-pins into glue and insert into each foam sheet along all seams.
- Staggering seams to strengthen headboard, glue foam sheets together to create 2"-thick base; pin seams to secure.
- Following instructions on label, spray paint foam headboard. Let dry.
- Pin and glue ribbon around edge.
- Trim flower stems to 2". Arrange flowers to cover headboard, inserting and gluing stems in the STYROFOAM™ brand foam.
- Glue four sawtooth hangers, evenly spaced and level, across top back of headboard. Dip nail ends into glue and insert through hanger ends into foam. Let dry completely before hanging.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.