By the Sea Shore Jewelry
By: Maria Nerius
I love the sea. I enjoy swimming, snorkeling and scuba diving. This jewelry was a way to celebrate the wonderful sea life I see while by the sea!
- Small metal frame finding
- Peruvian ceramic beads: mini fish, seahorse, and turtle
- 2 Sterling seahorse charms
- Provo Craft needlepunch tool
- Needlepunch needle threader
- DMC Color Variations 4040 (variegated blues and greens)
- 28 Green seed beads
- 21 Small blue crystal beads
- 2 small pink beads
- 6 Pink long diamond crystal beads
- 4 Medium pink beads
- 2 Blue round crystal beads
- 5 Blue bugle beads
- Small crystal beads for earrings
- 2 Crimp beads
- Lightweight cardboard
- Crimper tool
- Jump ring
- Beading wire
- June Tailor Fray Block
- Clover stitching hoop and stand
- DMC needlepunch fabric
- Crewel needle
- Head pins
- Eye pins
- Earring wires
- Fabric glue
- Pencil or disappearing ink pen
- Trace outside and inside lines of metal frame onto needlepunch fabric. You will needlepunch the inside area of your frame outline. Make 3 patterns onto the fabric. This is the background for your ceramic fish, seahorse, and turtle bead.
- Measure out 36” of floss and cut. Separate threads of floss giving you 6 threads.
- Thread needlepunch tool as instructed on packaging. Note you are thread one strand of floss. Needlepunch background. Dab Fray Block onto fabric at the start and end of a strand of floss.
- Allow Fray Block to dry. Remove fabric from hoop. Trim each background leaving a 1/8” border of fabric. Mat background onto cardboard with fabric glue. Allow to dry. The matted background should easily slide into frame charm. Trim if need to fit into frame.
- Sew or glue ceramic bead onto background. Slip into charm frame. Add jump ring.
- To make necklace shown measure 25 of beading wire and cut. Sting on a crimp bead and thread one end of beading wire to one part of clasp. Bring beading wire back through the crimp bead and crimp.
- String 2 small blue crystal beads, small pink crystal bead, 2 small blue crystal beads, five green seed beads, 6 small blue crystals, green seed bead, long pink diamond bead, small blue crystal, long pink diamond, small blue crystal, long pink diamond, small blue crystal, long pink diamond, green seed, blue bugle bead, green seed, blue bugle, green seed bead, small blue, green seed, blue bugle, green seed, small blue, green seed, long pink diamond, green seed, small blue, green seed, big pink crystal bead, green seed, small blue, green seed, small blue, green seed, large blue crystal bead, green seed, small blue, green seed, small blue, green seed, big pink, green seed, small blue, green seed, small blue, green seed, long pink diamond, green seed, blue bugle, green seed, small blue, green seed.
- Reverse pattern and string second side of necklace. Thread on second part of clasp, string on crimp bead, crimp, and trim.
- Create one or all three. Change by opening the jump ring, removing, switch out pendant and reattach.
The earrings shown were made with additional ceramic turtle and fish beads plus some sterling seahorse charms. For the beads, thread small crystal beads and the ceramic bead onto a head pin, make a loop, trim, attach to earring wires. The charms used eye pins. Attach charm to eye pin loop, close. Thread on small crystal beads, make a loop, trim, and close loop around earring wire.
Learn more about Maria and see her other projects here.
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts