Beaded Memory Lamp
By: Michelle Zimmerman for Amaco
Hang cherished photos from a beaded lampshade for a memory lamp from AMACO. It takes some time to make, but you'll love the end results.
- Black wrought iron lamp base
- Dark red fabric lamp shade
- FIMO® Soft – one 2 oz. package each of: Metallic Emerald Green, Metallic Red, Red, Granite, Black, Copper, Silver, Gold
- Amaco® Rub ‘n Buff® – Antique Gold
- Amaco® FunWire™ – Red (18 gauge); one roll, Black (24 Gauge); 2 rolls
- Small glass grey/black beads with holes large enough for FunWire™ to fit through
- Needle and thread
- Amaco® Tri bead roller
- Hand drill (to make holes in beads)
- Wire working tools
- Measure distance around base of shade. You will need one string of beads approximately every 2 inches. Each string is comprised of four beads.
- Mix a small portion of Black clay into Emerald Green to make a turquoise color. Mix half block of Metallic Red with Red clay. Condition all clays carefully and then make assortment of beads using Tri-Bead roller. This shade used 36 bead sets and 6 spirals. For this you will need:
18 each of: oval red beads
24 each of: black pillow beads, round red beads, round gold beads, granite oval beads
12 each of: silver bicone beads, copper bicone beads, turquoise bicone beads
To make pillow beads, use more clay than needed and roll an oval bead then flatten slightly and shape to resemble a pillow. If desired, make the holes in the beads before baking according to instructions on the packet.
- If you haven’t already done so, drill holes in all beads using a hand drill. Make an extra large hole in 6 oval red beads to take 18 gauge wire. Thread onto 24 gauge black wire in these configurations starting with a glass bead to fix the wire onto and interspersing each bead with a glass bead:
Set 1: gold round, silver bicone, gold round, red oval.
Set 2: granite oval, red round, granite oval, turquoise bicone.
Set 3: copper bicone, black pillow, red round, black pillow.
Finish with a small loop after checking to ensure the string is the same length as the others (approx. 3.5-4").
- Cut six 14" lengths of red 18 gauge wire. Roll one end into a large flat spiral. Add three glass beads, one red oval bead and finish with a glass bead. Wrap the top to make a small loop ensuring all the coils you make are approximately the same length.
- Flip the lampshade over to measure and mark the place each bead string will go. You will alternate the three strings and after every six bead strings, add a spiral. Sew the bead sets to the shade using neat stitches placed along the inside edge of the shade – this way you won’t see the stitching from the outside.
- Apply Rub ‘n Buff® lightly to the wrought iron base. Place it in areas that are easy to get to and rub it very lightly into the surface so you get a distressed, aged look.
- Print 12 photos at a small size (maximum 3.5" tall). Trim and adhere back to back.
- Assemble shade onto lamp base. Adjust bead sets so they hang well. Slip photos onto spirals on the shade.