Mosaic Daisy Hook
By: Diana Duvall for Diamond Tech
Brighten up any room with this easy to make mosaic daisy hook from Diamond Tech. This hook is perfect for your favorite sweater or even your kitchen dish towel. Tie a colorful ribbon to the back of a picture and hang it on the hook for a pretty wall decoration.
- 1 Wooden Daisy Hook SKU 354525 (21784) UPC707579217845 – Don Mechanic Ent. Texas
- 1 pkg. Jennifer’s Mosaics Iridescent Variety Glass Chips
- 1 pkg. Jennifer’s Mosaics Yellow Stained Glass Chips
- Green Latex Paint (2 oz.)
- 8 oz. Beige or White Sanded Grout
- Mosaic Glue
- Latex Glove
- Foam Brush
- Mixing Spoon
- Paper Towels or Soft Cloth
- Disposable or Plastic Bowl
- Wheeled Glass Nippers
- Safety Glasses
- Mix grout in a disposable cup for easy clean up.
- Use protective eye wear when nipping glass.
- To avoid clogging, never dispose of grout directly down a drain.
- Lightly wipe wooden daisy hook with a soft cloth or paper towel to remove surface dust or dirt. Use foam brush to paint hook with green latex paint and let dry. Determine center of the hook and draw a 2 ½” circle in the center.
- Fill the center of the circle with green glass gems, allowing 1/8” between each gem. Apply a thin layer of glue to back of each gem and press firmly in place. Wearing safety glasses create the center of the daisy by nipping Iridescent Orange Glass Chips in half creating two rectangles. Make squares by nipping rectangles in half at the center.
- Arrange the glass chips by alternating rectangles and squares along the perimeter of the center circle. Make sure none of the glass pieces touch. Lift each glass piece and apply a thin layer of glue to back. Firmly press each piece onto hook surface. Create yellow glass rectangles by nipping chips into thirds. Use rectangles to fill in background of daisy hook. Some rectangles may need to be cut at various lengths for best fit.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, make one cup of bone grout. Wearing latex glove, spread grout on to the daisy hook surface making sure that grout is pressed into all the nooks and crannies between the glass pieces. Wait about 15 minutes for grout to set.
- Gently wipe away excess grout using a paper towel, taking care not to pull grout out of the spaces between the glass pieces. It is very important to remove any grout on tile surfaces before grout is completely dry.
Use a soft cloth to buff glass to a clean shine. Allow 24 hours for mosaic piece to dry thoroughly.