No season boasts more glorious color than autumn. From the rich handmade-paper to the fruits, feathers and greenery, this design will dazzle you.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Block, 12" x 2" x 4"
- Cones, 6" x 3", three
- Handmade paper, 8-1/2" x 11" sheets: red-orange, two; olive green, two; gold, one
- Artificial fruits: red grape clusters, two; berry sprays, six; pomegranates, four; pear, one
- Silk floral stems, one each: velvet sunflowers; fall leaves
- Dried grain stems, three
- Quail feathers, two
- Medium pinecones, three
- Chenille stem, any color
- Wooden floral picks
- Fine-gauge floral wire
- Floral U-pins
- Floral shears or wire cutters
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Disposable foam paintbrush
- Paper towels
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut small equal slices from one side of each foam cone so they will rest flat against work surface.
- Using disposable brush, apply glue to one sheet of paper at a time. Wrap two cones with red-orange, one with gold, and foam block with olive green paper; trim excess and let dry.
- Glue cones to foam block as shown. For added strength, glue and insert a wooden pick through block into widest part of each paper-covered cone.
- Twist chenille stem ends together, forming hanging loop. Glue and insert loop into top back of block; secure with floral pins. Note: Hang swag before adding fillers in order to achieve proper balance in finished piece.
- Using photo as guide, glue and insert pear and pomegranates into top of center cone. Insert grapes, then sunflowers, into remaining cones. Fill in spaces with fall leaves. Insert berries into right cone so they cascade down side. Insert one berry spray vertically into right cone. Insert feathers in left cone. Insert dried grain stems into center cone. Fill in spaces with dried grains, berries and leaves as desired. Glue pinecone to tip of each cone.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.