Kids crafts are always a great rainy day activity that will keep the kids busy. Fun Altered Dominoes, from Jenny Barnett Rohrs at Consumer Crafts, takes your boring dominoes and transforms them into pieces of art that your kids can share with their friends. Make 'em, collect 'em, you'll love 'em.
- dominoes or other game pieces
- Adirondack Inks in your choice of colors - I used Butterscotch, Plum, Pink Sherbet and Gold in the first sample.
- Black Archival Ink stamp pad
- Scrappy Cat Floral Hearts Stamp set
- Acrylic Mounting Block
- Aileen’s Paper Glaze
- E-6000 adhesive
- pin backs or bails
- There are a couple of ways to go about making these fun, little gems, but here’s the easiest way. Start off my adding a few drops of ink to the back of your domino. Only a few drops are necessary.
- Using an make up dabber, sponge, or q-tip, dab the ink to gently spread it around with out mixing up the colors too much. I like to add a scant drop of silver or gold metallic ink to the dabber to add a little shimmer.
- In just a few moments, the ink will dry. You can also color the edges at this point- I like to use the gold or silver metallic to finish them off.
- Select the stamp you want to use and position it on the mounting block. Using the black ink, carefully stamp on top of your domino. You’ll want to heat-set the ink using your heat tool- usually just 10-15 seconds of heat will do the trick. Since I like a high-gloss shine, I like to coat mine with Aileene’s Paper Glaze. Start by making a line of glaze around the border of the domino, and then, using the tip, add a little more to fill in. If you get bubbles, just pop them or drag them to the edge using a straight pin.
- The drying time your glaze will need will depend on temperature, humidity, etc- mine dried in about an hour. Once your glaze is nice and dry, use your E-6000 adhesive to secure a pin back or a jewelry bail on the back.
- These little mini works of art are completely addictive to me. I’ve also used metallic stickers in place of stamping for another fun look. So get creative and have FUN recycling!