Tropical Jewelry Set
By: Berta Gilholm
This Tropical Jewelry Set from Berta Gilholm is perfect for a summer evening out. Embellish the earrings and choker with crochet flowers. Instructions are included to make your choice of choker, bracelet, or tee-shirt band. Don't forget the matching earrings!
- Any Sock Yarn size #1 – fine, 50g/1.75 oz.: 1 skein each of Aqua, Lime, and Navy (used approx. ¼ or less of a skein, so enough leftovers for project will do
- Crochet Hook: 2.75mm [US C-2]
- Split stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- Tiny button (to match colors)
- Earring posts
Gauge: 13 sts = 2” in sc, 4 rows = ¾ ” in sc. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.
Size: Choker = 14 ½ /15” x ¾”, Tee Shirt Band = 13 ½ /14” x ¾”, Bracelet = 6 ½ /7” x ¾”, Flower approximately ¾ to 1”.
Abbreviations and Stitches: Chain = ch, Slip stitch = slst, Single Crochet = sc, Half Double Crochet = hdc
Note: Instructions given for Choker (Tee Shirt Band/ Bracelet in parenthesis) for Earrings make only the flower.
- Ch 91 (81/36)
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn—90 (80/35) sc.
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, ch 5, join to last sc in bottom of row 1 with a slst this makes a button closure, Fasten off Aqua, weave in turn.
- Row 3: Join navy in last aqua sc, (weave in tail as you work), Ch 1, sc in each sc across, Fasten off Navy, turn.
- Row 4: Join aqua, (weave in both color tails as you work), Ch 1, sc in each sc across, Fasten off, weave in tail.
Flower for Choker, Tee Shirt Band, Bracelet and Earrings (make 1 for bands and 2 for earrings):
- With Navy ch 2, slst in 2nd ch from hook, (small Ring made)
- Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in ring, join with slst to first sc, work in rounds, fasten off navy, weave in tail, join lime in first sc with slst. If needed place a marker in first st for beg of rnd, move marker up as you work.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc, join with slst to first sc, join to first sc with slst (12 sc)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, *2 hdc in next sc, (2 hdc, sl st) in next sc, repeat from * around, (5 flower petals), join to first sc with a slst, Fasten off and weave in ends.
Center of Flower:
- Leave a 4” to 5” tail (for earrings 3” and weave in). For the rest carry this tail loosely in back of flower. Join Aqua to one of the front posts of a sc in (round 1/navy), ch 2, skip 1 sc, sc in front post of next sc, ch 1, sc in front post of next sc, ch 1, sc in front post of last sc, join to first sc of that rnd. Fasten off leaving 5” tail (for earrings leave 3” tail, fasten off and weave in ends).
- For bands, weave tail through front of work to back in center of flower.
- For Choker/Tee Band and Bracelet: Attach flower with yarn needle, sew each tail through the center of the band securely, tie the 2 tails in a knot behind band. Chain stitch the tails behind band until you run out of yarn, let hang loosely down behind and below band. Sew the button on the opposite end of band from button closure, weave in all ends.
- For Earrings: Slip a long-post earring that has a medium pearl, bead, etc. through center of each flower earring to wear.
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts